There are four main ways to get to Langkawi from Kuala Lumpur:
- The most common for tourists is to fly
- commercial flights on Malaysian Airlines (www.malaysiaairlines.com.my)
or low cost carrier on Air Asia (www.airasia.com)
- You can also go by express bus
Regular buses depart Kuala Lumpur to Kuala Perlis or Kuala Kedah and then followed by 1 ½ hrs ferry ride to Langkawi
- trains depart from KL Sentral (Malaysian Train KTMB – www.ktmb.com.my) to Alor Star, followed by taxi to ferry terminal at Kuala Kedah and then ferry to Langkawi
- Rent a car and drive yourself.
You can also reach Langkawi from Penang:
- Low cost flights by Firefly (www.fireflyz.com.my) or Air Asia (www.airasia.com)
- Ferry direct from Penang to Langkawi .
- There are 2 ferry departures – both ferries depart in the morning only. Journey is approx. 3 hours per way.
- Road from Penang to Kuala Kedah or Kuala Perlis and onward by ferry to Langkawi.